Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March 2 Report: Tom Weiskopf and Steve Stricker

Two more successes today from my favorite sport -- golf. While my football collection is by far my largest, one I've been concentrating on lately is golf. Hopefully one day my collection of signed little white balls will be as significant as that of the pigskin sport.

Weiskopf, one of the taller golfers whom Vijay Singh modeled his swing after as a young boy growing up, was a standout at Ohio State. His most significant amateur win was at the 1963 Western Amateur.

He followed that by winning 16 times on the PGA Tour, including his defining victory at the 1973 Open Championship at Royal Troon where he would outlast future Hall of Famers Johnny Miller and Neil Coles.

The second addition to my collection today comes from Steve Stricker. At this writing Stricker is ranked second in the world. Stricker has won eight times to date on the PGA Tour, including the 2001 World Golf Championships Match Play Championship. I picked up a souvenir logo ball from that tournament nine years ago and now I finally have it signed and proudly displayed in my game room.

Stricker was teamed with Tiger Woods in the 2009 Presidents Cup and played incredible golf that week that overshadowed Woods' performance much of the time.

Day of the Year: 61
Number of Autographs This Year: 104

No comments:

Post a Comment