Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 24 Report: Masters Tournament winners Trevor Immelman and Bob Goalby, Texas Ranger Pete Incaviglia & Players Championship winner Davis Love III

Those of you who read this blog on a regular basis may recall a short time ago I mentioned I had also had the opportunity to photograph the Masters Tournament trophy.

I had a number of prints made of that trophy and began sending them out with autograph requests a short time later.

Extremely thrilled today to report that some of those have already been returned. I received my first two back today from 1968 Masters Tournament winner Bob Goalby and 2008 Masters Tournament winner Trevor Immelman.

The photo shown here is the one Goalby signed. Goalby won 11 times on the PGA Tour, but none more notable -- or memorable -- than the Masters.

Roberto De Vicenzo actually shot the best tournament score, but Tommy Aaron incorrectly marked Goalby's scorecard and De Vicenzo signed an incorrect scorecard, essentially causing him to forfeit the Masters title to Goalby. An absolute horrid turn events for all three, as Aaron's error caused De Vicenzo the title and Goalby was unjustly criticized for many years.

The Immelman depiction here is even a bit cooler than the signed Masters Trophy.

While Immelman also signed one of those photos I have chosen to show the pin flag he signed as well. I picked this pin flag up from Augusta National at the 2008 Masters Tournament, which was won by Immelman.

This is my first signed pin flag from the Masters Tournament, though I hope to add several more in the remaining months of this year's project. Trevor is not only a great champion, but he is also a wonderful family man and role model for so many young people.

This flag will find its way into a frame and then will be prominently displayed in my game room.

The third golf success of the day comes from Davis Love III.

I had the opportunity to witness the 2003 Players Championship in person seven years ago, and it provided one of the most memorable rounds I've ever seen.

Love III fired a ridiculous 64 on one of the toughest tracks on Tour in windy, rainy and unseasonably cold conditions.

The round so impressed Fred Couples that he called it "the best round of golf I've ever seen played."

Indeed a brilliant round, a great tournament and a most gracious champion.

Last up today is one of my rare successes from the world of baseball. Pete Incaviglia, the great Oklahoma State player who still own the NCAA recod for HRs in a season (48) and a career (100), signed a 1990 Donruss card for me.

Inky played in the majors for 12 season with six different teams, beginning with the Texas Rangers. His career numbers show him with a batting average of .246 and a career HR total of 206.

Day of the Year: 114
Number of Autographs This Year: 164

No comments:

Post a Comment