Monday, April 5, 2010

April 5 Report: Joe Lavender and Rives McBee

Over the last week or so I've made a concerted effort to contact golfers, both past and present, to bolster the golf portion of the autograph collection.

I had saved a number of old Pro Set cards from the early 1990s, so I started there. Not necessarily the biggest stars, but it allowed me to get going while I figured out what to do for the bigger names (that story is for a later post once the successes start arriving).

The second of those Pro Set successes arrived today, courtesy of Rives McBee. McBee won three times on the Champions Tour in 1989-90.

The second success is yet another football autograph from my formative years growing up in the 1970s. Joe Lavender was a 12th-round draft pick back in 1973. He was selected 288th overall by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Obviously the Eagles scouted Lavender well out of San Diego State. Lavender played 10 years in the NFL (1973-75 for the Eagles and 1976-82 for the Washington Redskins).

I asked Mr. Lavender to sign the card and inscribe with his career interception total. He was kind enough to oblige, though it looks like he wrote 33 ENTs instead of 33 INTs.

Day of the Year: 95
Number of Autographs This Year: 135

No comments:

Post a Comment