Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Feb. 10 Report: Ken Venturi

Nine days ago I sat down and wrote a very sincere letter to the 1964 U.S. Open champion, Ken Venturi. This man won perhaps the most grueling test of golf -- his country's national open championship -- in what is likely the most grueling conditions ever. The 100-plus degree heat and humidity over the 36-hole finale was almost more than one could take.

Venturi nearly passed out, but somehow managed to finish the tournament with a doctor in tow, claiming his first major championship.

Venturi has been nothing but class his entire career -- including his captaining of the Presidents Cup team and his decades in the announcer's booth.

I was not disappointed in my expectations of what this gentleman embodied. Not only did he take the time to sign my golf ball and card, but he also took the time to write me a nice response letter back. Oh, and he also included, in his words, "a little extra" something and signed one of his own personal items and sent that to me as well.

Overall a very nice day with this addition. Something for my Presidents Cup collection, Ryder Cup collection and U.S. Open collection.


Day of the Year: 41
Number of Autographs This Year: 74

No comments:

Post a Comment