Saturday, February 13, 2010

Feb. 13 Report: Brian Baschnagel and John Dutton

Today marked the 100th request of the year I have sent out in my 2010 autograph campaign. Just for the record that request was to Ivan Lendl, the tennis Hall of Famer turned golf nut. Hopefully in this space in a few weeks I will be able to report that success as I add another signed golf ball to my collection.

I all I sent six different requests today since there will be no mail tomorrow or Monday for the Presidents' Day holiday.

In exchange for those six, the post office returned two of my previous requests today, both from former NFL players I watched growing up. First up is former Chicago Bears wide receiver Brian Baschnagel.

Baschnagel played for the Bears from 1976-1984, where he caught 134 passes for 2,024 yards -- an average of more than 15 per reception.

Prior to being the Bears' third-round pick in 1976, Baschnagel was a two-time Academic All-American at Ohio State.

Today's other success was from former Dallas Cowboys defensive end John Dutton. Slowly I seem to be filling in my Cowboys team set from 1980.

Dutton was the fifth overall pick out of Nebraska in 1974. He spent five years with the Baltimore Colts before joining the Cowboys (1979-1987). He made three consecutive Pro Bowls beginning in 1975, when he had 17 sacks for the Colts.

In 1980 Dutton was a part of one of the most formidable defenses in NFL history, playing alongside Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Randy White and Harvey Martin.



Day of the Year: 44
Number of Autographs This Year: 79

No comments:

Post a Comment