Friday, January 15, 2010

January 14 Report: Louis Oliver, Jim Hart, Deron Cherry, Kevin Butler and Mike Rozier

It's early in the year, but I set a new personal record for the number of successes in a single day. Five former NFL players returned signed cards today so I've made up some ground in case I need it in the coming days/weeks/months as I steam toward adding 365 autographs to my collection in 2010.

First up is former University of Florida standout and first-round draft pick by the Miami Dolphins, Louis Oliver. I watched many games at Florida Field while Oliver was a Gator and I'm thrilled to add this to my growing Gator Collection.

Next up is Jim Hart, who had an excellent career in the NFL from 1966-1984. Especially considering was not drafted out of Southern Illinois and ended up passing for nearly 35,000 yards and was a four-time Pro Bowl selection.

A great link back to my earliest days watching football and the most defining period in my young football life. Judging from my collection this was the first significant year of card collecting and I'm happy ot add this 1979 Topps card to my collection.

I was a big Chiefs fan from 1989 on, primarily because my favorite college player, Derrick Thomas, was drafted by them and I was in need of a new team as the new ownership in Dallas unceremoniously got rid of my childhood icon, Tom Landry. So this add from former Chief great Deron Cherry is most welcome. The Chiefs had some great defenses and this free safety was an anchor all his career. 50 interceptions and six Pro Bowls are a few of his achievements.

Thanks Deron!!

The day's fourth success came from former University of Georgia and Chicago Bears kicker Kevin Butler. Funny thing looking at this card is he was erroneously listed as a Punter on the front of the card.

He played with the Bears from 1985-1995 and finished his career with the Arizona Cardinals. He retired as the Bears' all-time leading scorer with 1,116 points.



Lastly I've added Mike Rozier's autograph to my collection. Rozier, of course, was the Heisman Trophy winner in 1983. He played in the NFL and the USFL and he was gracious enough to sign this 3x5 index card I can add to my Heisman collection.




Day of the Year: 14
Number of Autographs This Year: 19

No comments:

Post a Comment