Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19 Report: Lynda Carter, Van Eeghen, Fritsch, Breunig, Mark Moseley, Blair Thomas, Bennie Blades, Robert Parish, B.J. Armstrong and Trafton

Wow! My hopes were more than met today when I flipped open the mailbox. A total of 10 successes today, which really moved me ahead of my autograph-a-day quest for 2010. This is a new record for me in a single day, which I'll need to remember on the days when the mailbox is barren.

A mixed bag today, including one from an actress, an Olympic gold medalist, a few basketball and quite a few of my favorite collection, football.

First up is a photo of an original Roberto Campus digital drawing of Wonder Woman. I was blown away by Roberto's work when I first saw it and I'm loving having this item signed by Lynda Carter. Carter, of course, is most well known for her role of Wonder Woman in the 1970s, and she was Miss World USA in 1972. Thrilled with this addition to my collection!

Also in today's mail were the signatures of several former NFL players I enjoyed watching in the 1970s and 1980s -- a period that was so formative in my love of football and sports in general.

A special nod goes out to former Raider Mark Van Eeghen. I sent him three different cards and a total of 5 if you count duplicates. I offered him the duplicate cards to keep for himself, and he wrote a nice letter back saying he took me up on my offer and kept one. He signed the four others and sent them back to me. What an awesome guy Mark is! Here's one of the cards he signed.

Other NFL players from that era who returned signed cards to me today were Ted Fritsch, the former center for the Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins ...






Bob Breunig, another member of "my team" growing up, the Dallas Cowboys ...







and Mark Moseley, the only kicker to ever be named NFL MVP. Moseley added the NFL MVP inscription to his card, which I requested. Great add!






Fast forward a few years and you'll recognize the great Penn State running back Blair Thomas. Thomas was a member of the Nittany Lions' 1986 National Championship team and was the second overall pick in 1990, though a series of injuries kept him from fulfilling his NFL promise. Nevertheless, a great college football player and one I have wanted for a long time.





Bennie Blades is another standout college player who won a National Championship while at Miami in 1987. He was also a winner of th eJim Thorpe Award and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006.






The lone Hall of Fame autograph that arrived today was that of former Boston Celtic Robert Parish.









B.J. Armstrong, the former Chicago Bull, also signed a card for me.








Lastly, 2008 Olympic gold medalist in the discus, Stephanie Brown Trafton was generous with here time too as she signed a 3x5 index card I can use for framing with a photograph later.

Today has really gotten me pumped on how awesome this year is going to be with this project to look forward to every day when I come home. Hope you enjoy following along.


Day of the Year: 19
Number of Autographs This Year: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment