Thursday, June 10, 2010

June 10 Report: Football Hall of Famer Charley Trippi; former New York Giants Kicker Joe Danelo and former Seattle Seahawks LB Terry Beeson

Just over a week ago I took a letter-writing session to address my recent lack of autograph requests outside of golf. I sent about 10 football requests, a couple of baseball ones and even a rare hockey request.

Well that effort began to pay off today in the form of three football successes. I sent three football HOFers among the lot and first up today is one of those.

I first met Charley Trippi 19 years ago and he signed a pair of cards for me. Now, nearly two decades later, I've added another different card to the collection. His resume is impressive as you would expect from any Hall of Famer, so I won't go into it here.

But the thing I'd like to say is that it is amazing that in nearly two decades -- and for a man who is nearing 90 -- his signature does not appear to have changed one bit. Still very readable and elegant and no signs of shakiness.

Man I really wish I could have seen these guys play in their primes. It must have been an entirely different game then.

Next up is Washington State product Joe Danelo. Danelo was drafted by the Dolphins in 1975 but never played with them. He suited up for three different teams, but most notably the New York Giants (1976-82). He kicked a then-team-record 55-yard FG on Sept. 20, 1981 and tied an NFL record for six field goals in a game without a miss. That record has since been broken.

Lastly today is former Seattle Seahawks linebacker Terry Beeson. The second round pick out of Kansas played for Seattle (1977-81) and the San Francisco 49ers (1982). He set a Seattle franchise record for tackles with 153.




Day of the Year: 161
Number of Autographs This Year: 207

No comments:

Post a Comment