Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 15 Report, Part 2: Football Hall of Famer Andy Robustelli

So when I updated this blog earlier this afternoon with my tidbit on PGA Tour winner Chris Perry and his baseball lineage, I thought I was done for the day.

Needless to say that was way off base -- primarily because I did not count on the UPS man delivering me a package this evening. Boy was this a huge surprise as I had no idea who sent it or what it was.

I'll try to make the story somewhat short.

Ten days ago I wrote a letter to the great Andy Robustelli, Pro Football Hall of Fame member. My letter essentially included a card I hoped he would sign, but more important to me was I was hoping to get a story from him about an old Chicago Bear he played against named Willie Galimore.

I told Mr. Robustelli I had been reading everything I could on football from that era -- my bookshelf can attest to my words -- and I was wondering if he had any other stories on Galimore.

Well this UPS package came from Robustelli on his own dime. In it was a first edition copy of his book, which was inscribed and signed to me. I was blown away that he would take the time to do this.

But it gets better. Inside the book were a pair of signed football cards and my return envelope, stamped but unused.

And there's more.

He also included a pair of autographed 4x6 Hall of Fame signature cards.

So five different autographs from one of the guys who is responsible for making the game what it is today.

Needless to say I can't wait to read his book and see if he has some Galimore stories in the book.

I'll be sending a note back to Mr. Robustelli telling him how much his efforts mean to me. I also plan on sending him some cash to cover his expense in shipping the package to me.

This guy has more than class than most locker rooms hold today. I'm definitely a fan for life.

Day of the Year: 166
Number of Autographs This Year: 214

No comments:

Post a Comment